Approximately 20 million people in the US have some type of peripheral neuropathy, which is a condition resulting from damage to the peripheral nervous system, the network that carries data between the spinal cord and brain (also known as the central nervous system) and all other parts of your body. Symptoms can be tingling or numbness, muscle weakness, or paresthesia, which is a pricking sensation. Damaged nerves can cause sweating, sexual dysfunction, digestion problems, and urination issues.
One of the commonest forms of peripheral neuropathy is diabetic neuropathy, which can cause nerve damage in an ascending pattern. Symmetrical numbness and pain can be felt first in both feet, and then will gradually travel up both legs. The last nerve fibers to be affected are arms, hands, and fingers. Other common causes of peripheral neuropathy are genetic abnormalities, anemia, impaired kidney or liver function, nerve compression due to stenosis or disc protrusion, thyroid imbalance, chemotherapy, or the use of statin drugs.
What can a Stockbridge Georgia Chiropractic office do to help your peripheral neuropathy?
- Chiropractic doctors first will identify your pain’s cause. Early chiropractic care may reduce the severity of sensory and motor nerve damage, and at the same time give patients an option to try a drug-free, non-surgical approach to their disease.
- Chiropractic care combined with physical rehabilitation and massage therapy can help address postural misalignment, muscle tone imbalance, and abnormal movement patterns which often accompany compression syndromes or nerve entrapment.
- A Stockbridge Georgia Chiropractic doctor has a treatment goal of creating an environment where nerves can regenerate. Nerves have to be used to remain functioning well. Therapies that have been found useful for neuropathy include infrared therapy, whole body vibration therapy, high dose laser therapy, functional neurologic treatment, and nutritional supplementation.
- Cold laser therapy provides energy to your body without using tissue-damaging heat. Your cell mitochondria absorbs the infrared light, and this accelerates tissue and damaged nerve healing.
- Whole body vibration therapy encourages increased lymph fluid and blood circulation by rapid contraction of muscles. It encourages increased nerve activity through skin receptors called Pacinian and Meissners corpuscles. Vibration has been demonstrated to increase osteoblast cell activity, which in turn increases bone mineral density.
- A Stockbridge Georgia Chiropractic doctor can use Infrared Light Therapy to increase circulation of oxygen and blood to nerves, which helps to reduce inflammation and also increase recovery rate for damaged nerves.
- Stenosis or herniation of the disc can cause pressure on the nerves or spinal cord, causing nerve compression which leads to peripheral neuropathy. A chiropractor will perform non-surgical spinal decompression by using a machine which gently stretches the spine, causing a vacuum to form inside the disc which reduces compression on the nerves.
- Nutritional therapy has the goal of normalizing your body chemistry through diet changes such as eliminating any food you’re sensitive to, adding healthier food to your diet, and employing nutritional supplements.
- A Stockbridge Georgia Chiropractic office can provide patients with instructions for home care therapies. This includes thermal contrast therapy, myofascial mobilization, nerve stimulation, and sensory motor coordination.